Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Are Brick and Mortar Stores Obsolete for Historical Gamers?

For the historical miniature wargaming hobby, do we need brick and mortar stores?  No.  Do I wish we all had local stores that have all sorts of stock with lots of available game tables.  Yes.

We have seen countless stores close over the years with no replacements springing up.  But I have seen lots of new boardgame/card stores open.  They seem to be doing well.  I think this is because the boardgaming hobby is growing.  General hobby stores have virtually no historical miniature related stock apart from Warlord Games (Bolt Action) or Battlefront (Flames of War).  The Sentry Box (photo below) store in Calgary is a bad example.  They have lots of historical stock.


I am told constantly to support your local brick and mortar store, but I drive to these rare stores and find nothing to buy.  At this point, it is a complete waste of time.  These days I find myself buying most of my needed miniatures and buildings from across the ocean (UK or Europe).  I don't mind.  The exchange rate is not too bad at the moment and for most of what I need I don't have an option.

The only reason I can think of the purpose of a brick and mortar store for historical gamers is a place to game.  This of course does not help the owner, because there is nothing to buy.

Maybe things will change in the future and there will be a resurgence of brick and mortar stores with lots of great historical hobby stuff to buy.  Though, I think that is a just a dream.


4 comments:

  1. Can always get some paints and other hobby bits. I think the trouble with gamers now they tend to butterfly between genres and systems and board games are quick to setup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a few things, but not worth making a trip for. We are guilty of floating around. Would be easier if I stuck with something like 15mm WWII.

      Delete
  2. HI

    Very good Question Eric!

    As we both Know, Denver ses to have three great stores with varying level of commitment to Historical Miniatures. Sadly they are all three gone. Causes are said to be Rent increase and owner troubles.
    The true is they all died by Owner neglect. Most Humans can be interested and energetic in their business for about 3 years before they burn. They stop trying new things and stop restocking low turn around brands. They stop cleaning and the Shelves fill with unsellable stock.

    All they can see is the capital in the dead stock and stop buying anything unless it’s a guaranteed sale.
    They them start to spin downhill and finally have a giant close out sale and close. I worked for a every
    large chain Comic book company for many years. I have seen So many people Start stores with little or
    no Knowledge of what they are doing.

    If I was every asked what I thought about opening a store. My Quote was” Buy a bunch of used Monopoly set. Count out a pile of paper money equal to your start up and light it on fire. Watch it burn and think really hard if you want to do it with real money” You have to have a good business plan and stick to it. It‘s long hours of Hard work and toil. There are many Successful stores in the World, run but Smart, Energetic, business people.

    It is also the customers fault. If you only game at a store and never buy anything, it’s not long for the world. Don’t uses store for research for later buying online. Don’t lament the closing of a store if you haven’t bought anything there for years. You are right about Board game stores, but give it a few years and they will be gone. With Kickstarters and direst sales by Companies, they are losing customers even before they have them.

    Bill Daniel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Bill. I really try to support game stores, but if I can't find anything to buy I'm not just going to waste money on stuff. Stores don't suddenly change/improve their stock for me to make me want to go back. If I was into Eurogaming / Worker Placement boardgames as my main hobby...wow there are lots of great stores out there. From what I've heard, even good prices compared to online.

      Delete