Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2021

Danger Close movie

Highly recommended!

I recently read someone recommending the movie Danger Close as a good war movie.  I had never heard about it, but do know about the Battle of Long Tan.  I did not know the specifics of the battle, so went into the movie not knowing much.  I'm always up for a new war movie and also have an interest in wargaming the Vietnam war.

After watching this movie I have to classify it as one of the top war movies I've seen.  There is very little non-war content and focuses on the full timeline of the battle.  All the aspects of the battle were covered, except the North Vietnam side.  The key aspects were the D Company, chain of command, communication, artillery, APCs, and helicopters.  A close movie comparison is We Were Soldiers.  As mentioned the movie Danger Close focused solely on the battle, which We Were Soldiers did not.  It jumped back and forth to the home front.  Don't get me wrong, the battle scenes in We Were Soldiers was good, but the movie is disjointed.

While watching the movie I kept thinking Hollywood and figured there were going to be mistakes in uniforms, equipment or terrain.  The battle was mainly in a rubber tree plantation, the film seemed to be actually filmed in a rubber tree plantation.  The uniforms to my knowledge were completely authentic with all sorts of variety.  The weapons, artillery, APCs and helicopters were spot on.  The details on how all the equipment was used was cool.  Maybe someone can pick out a mistake in the movie, but it looked bang on accurate to me.  Maybe the NVA uniforms looked a bit too mint condition.

It is interesting to learn new things from a movie, such as I had no clue Australia had conscription during the Vietnam War.  A lot of focus has been on the American involvement in the Vietnam War and this movie was good to watch showing some of the Australian and New Zealand involvement.

Whether you are interested in the Vietnam War or not, I recommend this movie as a great war movie and a must see.  It is available for streaming on Amazon Prime.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, a good film and well done on all fronts, but much preferred the 'Siege of Jadotville' possibly as I'd read about the action beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard if it? I'll definitely have a look out for it though, cheers!

    ReplyDelete