Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Hexacon 2020

So how was Hexacon 2020 this year?

It was okay.  It wasn't great nor was it bad.  It continues to have potential.

360° Photo Link (Miniatures Room)

The convention was in a new location this year, but at an old gaming location that has seen Genghis Con and Tacticon conventions in the past.  Having been to this location many times, it was no surprise to me and a good gauge to see how attendance was.  Hexacon has been a smaller convention compared to Genghis Con and Tacticon, and this year was no different.

The Vendor room had a good variety of gaming stuff.  Certainly lots of space to get around each of the vendors.  I didn't buy anything, but I'm sure others did.

Boardgame room

The boardgaming room was certainly hopping on Saturday.  The room looked a bit crowded with how the tables were spaced out and the room continues to need more light.  Also, ya, the room could use more ventilation and some air fresheners.  Glad I didn't play in any boardgames there.

Not sure what game this was.
My main focus was the miniatures room.  There was a good variety of games going on.  I saw Fallout, Gaslands, Space Hulk, Star Wars Legion, and others (most don't know the names).  Our club ran a few historical miniature games.  The room had lots of room for more games (unlike Tacticon a few years back).  I am glad there were no tournaments using up all the space in the room (i.e. 40k).

Battle of Moscow
My Battle of Moscow 1941 game went better than I had hoped.  Unfortunately we were unable to come to a conclusion and ended up in a tie.  The scenario had German Panzer division units attempting to breakthrough a Soviet Tank Brigade.  Rules were Blitzkrieg Commander IV.  I do like the new Recce rules.  Next time I will make up my own quick reference sheets which would speed up play.  I'm not sure what my next WWII game will be...maybe something later in the war on the Eastern Front.


Overall I prefer a convention space that is brighter (my photos have been brightened).  This location is way too dark.  The miniature room is off the beaten path, so not many gamers saw the games.  This is probably due to the layout of the hotel, not a convention issue.  The convention price makes a lot of sense for gamers and variety of games is good.  I continue to recommend this convention and look forward to running another game next year.  A big thank you to Dustin (Convention Chair) for what looked like another successful Hexacon and his support for the Colorado Military Historians.

Gaslands

Here are my thoughts from Hexacon 2019: LINK

Photos below are from Great Canoe race.







6 comments:

  1. Sadly, the number of historical games offered is still miniscule. There were a plethora of D & D, sci-fi, animal raising, trading empires, and other R-P games. I offered Twilight Struggle by GMT. One person signed up early in the week, then cancelled by Sunday. People looked at the set-up, by passed on by. Until things change, I'll forego the long drive and wasted time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry things did not work out. All we can do is try.

      Delete
  2. I would echo the previous comment. My Firefly game had the optimal amount of players. However, I saw no interest in the knights & Magick game. I really have no interest in driving for hours in each direction, fighting for a parking space (my ability to walk is impaired), packing and unpacking hundreds of figures and scenery, and setting up a game, just to have no one show up. This is a huge issue for me.

    I was concerned even though the complaint has been made there were not enough miniatures games, the truth is there are not enough players to play in the games which were already offered. It is almost criminal to expect more games when the existing games have empty spots.

    I can understand why game coordinators want to get as many games as possible. However, it is counter-productive if people are setting up games only to have no players show an interest in the games. It's a good way to burn up the goodwill of the people running games. The game masters are just as important as the game players.

    Unfortunately, I am at the point of demanding that a set number of players pre-register before I will engage in the effort. Also, I won't pay for a badge just to run a game at a convention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess there are more games than there are gamers. I hope word gets out and more people attend.

      Delete
  3. Hi

    The location of the big games in the lower level wasn't helpful to getting players. I ran 3 What a tanker games and had a total of 6 players over the whole day. One was a Historical gamer who didn't know about the CMH but will be going to the next monthly meeting, So for me a win.

    Bill Daniel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the Catan tournament would have been better in the room and miniatures in the open area. Heck, walking by miniature games is a wee bit more interesting to look at than Catan.

      Delete