Pages

Friday, March 23, 2018

Operation Pedestal Convoy Wargame Research

I was interested in running a convoy wargame awhile back and was able to put together a WWII Arctic convoy game last year.  It was fun to research, figure out what miniatures to get, paint up the ships and then to run it.  Researching what rules to use was not that fun and I ended up using various rules for the game.  I think it worked out fairly well and got me thinking I could do another convoy game such as Operation Pedestal in the Mediterranean.

Bomb Alley boardgame laid out for testing.
So far my focus has been researching what rules to use.  I can not use Mal Wright's convoy rules because it only covers Atlantic convoys and I do not feel like modifying it for the Mediterranean.  I looked at various boardgames and Lou Coatney Malta Convoy rules.  These rules just did not get into enough detail to work with miniatures on the table.  I went to my shelves and discovered that I owned Bomb Alley by Avalanche Press.  I laid it out and went through the rules thoroughly and to my surprise, I think it is going to work really well.  Instead of using multiple rules for the Operation Pedestal miniature scenario, it looks like I will just use the Bomb Alley rules.  The rules cover the map movement and encounters fairly well.

Like the Arctic Convoy game I ran, this scenario will follow the Allied convoy from Gibraltar to Malta.  For the Axis there are German and Italian submarines and aircraft.  I really do not know Italian aircraft in WWII, so it will be interesting to learn more about them.  Not sure about Italian warships yet.  The Allies have a variety of ships and aircraft to defend the convoy. 


After testing with the rules and making up my own quick reference sheets, I will then move onto researching miniatures.  I already have some 1:2400 ships, but buying 1:3000 may be better and cheaper.  I do like the 1:2400 GHQ detail though.  I will also expand on the 1:1250 CAP Aero planes I already have.  I'm looking forward to painting up the Nelson class British battleships and of course the British carriers (watch me paint them up and they don't show up on the table).

As to the what will cover a 6'x4' table for the game, I'll probably go with a hex sea mat again.  A hex mat should be sufficient (with larger hexes) to fit the convoy and any other task forces that need to be laid out.

I think this will be another fun four hour map/miniature convoy game like the Arctic convoy game...maybe better.

No comments:

Post a Comment