Pages

Monday, September 28, 2020

My Changing Scales History

When I first started in the historical miniature wargaming hobby, I started with plastic 1:72 Zulu War figures and plastic 1:72mm WWII desert soldiers and model kits.  That is what I had access to at my local hobby stores.  I vaguely knew there was metal miniatures, but coming from a model maker background (planes, tanks, ships) I enjoyed assembling and painting them up and gaming on the table.  

Why am I still not gaming with that?  I lost interest in Zulu wargaming and left my 1:72 WWII desert at my parents when I moved out.  I instead discovered 10/12mm WWII which I felt looked better on a 6'x4'  table for the scenarios I wanted to do.  Maybe in the future I will buy into 20mm or 28mm for WWII skirmish.

1:2400 GHQ

I then started getting interest in WWI and WWII naval gaming and I bought 1:2400 GHQ and Panzerschiffe models.  I also bought 1:3000 WWI.  I found 1:2400 too crowded on the table, so I have been more focused on 1:3000.  GHQ ship miniatures look great, but it looks like the 1:3000 catalog of ships works better for me.

1:600 Tumbling Dice

The planes I use for naval battles keep getting bigger over time.  I started with multiple 1:2400 planes on a stand, then 1:1200 and now I'm going with a single 1:600 plane on a stand.  The single plane represents a squadron.  Lots of good choices in 1:600.

When it comes to scale, I think I have one regret.  I think it was 15mm War of 1812 miniatures.  At the time I think I was afraid of painting 28mm so went with 15mm.  I discovered that skirmishing 28mm War of 1812 worked better and I don't mind painting 28mm.  Nothing fancy with my 28mm painting.

I can see myself getting into 6mm scale.  Not sure with what period.  Maybe Crusades.

I'm sure we are all like this, changing scales all the time.  Maybe you have more impressive stories than I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment